Silver Sustainability Success
On 22 April, members of the team collected our Silver award at the Sustainability Awards Ceremony.
Following on from our Bronze award last April, this year we decided to work towards Silver; this has involved a whole team effort, which has been both enjoyable and rewarding!
Our activities have included:
- holding monthly bring and share lunches as a team;
- growing sunflowers on our windowsills;
- learning about sustainable modes of travel to and from work;
- discussing our team’s social and environmental impact, with the assistance of Alexis Heeran from the Department for Social Responsibility and Sustainability;
- raising awareness about energy saving.
The Awards Ceremony, hosted in the Playfair Library, was a great way to learn about the work that our colleagues across the University are doing to make their workplace more sustainable.
There is some really exciting work taking place: for example, we heard from a department using bicycle pedal power to screen films and a lab team researching the temperature at which biological samples need to be kept in freezers to investigate if there is the potential to save energy by raising the temperature.
Amidst such impressive work, we were very proud to pick up our Silver award (which was made by the Grassmarket Community Project).
The Sustainability Awards have not only been a great way for UWP to think about how we can make our practices more sustainable, but they have also provided us with opportunities to get the whole team together at a time which is otherwise very much occupied with the migration to EdWeb!